Just in time for those cold candle-lit nights in the wake of hurricane Sandy – This mix is sure to warm you up. It’s an inspired collection for the bleeding heart.
This is the first spradosphere mix that is completely all new songs by mostly new bands. These tracks are floating around in the fringe out there…somewhere. Even though they’re new, these tracks struck me with how distant they sounded. It’s cold but a comforting mix of nostalgic synthy indie winter surf rock. This baby just flows so well together. I guess it was inspired by the old photographs of my family I looked at over the holidays. The cover image is an actual photograph of my mom with a few of her sisters on a family road trip that happened in the early 1950s. I fell in love with the “Little Women” detail my grandfather put on the back of the car since, at the time, he was the only man in the family. The photograph and the mix just connected. Hope it gets to you.
Sometimes, you can actually feel it.
Loosely based on the iconic peephole in Psycho, I Felt My Eye Expanding is a ghost story. It works best with sound buckets strapped to your earballs as you walk and walk and walk. Follow the through-line or just let it be a filter as you submerge yourself in the world around you.
spradosphere is proud to present its first ever guest curator.
Regina Rossi | is no stranger to spradosphere.com; she’s been an instrumental proponent in getting this site off the ground, so it seems only fitting that she be the one to carve the way for the upcoming series of guest MixTapes. Her dedication to the Scene, to Music, to Style is active, voracious and methodical. However, to truly describe her might best be left to hear for yourself, since, in her own words, “Beyond Dark Space is personal”.
BEYOND DARK SPACE covers a landscape that spans a unique auditorial palate as insatiable as it is final. Dark | Electric | Loud | Synthetic | Zoned | Beat | Sexy | Severe.
This makes 1o.
There’s a love story in here if you can find it.
Get your rose colored love explosion soundtrack on. Break it open, Swim in it, Watch it burrrn…out?
*We hear a lot more now than we ever have before and that creates a challenge. Songs are taking on a shorter shelf life if they’re even being heard at all. OBSOLESCED is a transition that ranges from immediately old songs to legitimately old songs. Nothing “new” to discover here but rather the space between the recent past to the timelessly loved.
01. Awake On Foreign Shores (Colin Stetson)
02. I Want To (Best Coast)
03. Last Night At The Jetty (Panda Bear)
04. Starlings (Elbow)
05. Limit To Your Love (James Blake)
06. Wolf & I (Oh Land)
07. Lovesick (Lindstrøm & Christabelle)
08. Look (Sébastien Tellier)
09. Narc (Interpol)
10. Sour Times (Portishead)
11. Drown the Rats and Giants (Colin Stetson)
12. Elephants (Warpaint)
13. The Witching Hour (Wild Nothing)
14. You Won’t Need Me Where I’m Goin’ (How to Dress Well)
15. A Picture Of Our Torn Up Praise (Phosphorescent)
16. You Always Hurt the Ones You Love (Ryan Gosling)
17. Picture In A Frame (Tom Waits)
18. Doyna (The Klezmatics)
19. Ojalá (Silvio Rodriguez y Luis Eduardo Aute)
20. Once In A While (Jackie Gleason)
words words words words words words words……….
yeah. it’s content driven. it’s that time of the month.
The good news is that it’s filled with some brand spankin hot off the press choice tunes and cushioned with a few older ones too.
All in All – January is off to a good start.
01. Tonight (Sibylle Baier)
02. Lemonade (Braids)
03. Safe At Home (Eternal Summers)
04. I Go To Sleep (Anika)
05. Come On Let’s Go (Broadcast)
06. Pigeon (Tennis)
07. Kaputt (Destroyer)
08. The Problem With Your Daughter (Lord Huron)
09. Not a Friend (Cat’s Eyes)
10. Wilhelms Scream (James Blake)
11. Moon Dreams (Desolation Wilderness)
12. No One’s There (Anika)
13. WOR (Django Django)
14. All Around And Away We Go (Twin Sister)
15. Now That I’m Older (Sufjan Stevens)
16. Rings of Saturn (Sleeping States)
EDIT: Today is a good day. SPRADOSPHERE’s first AD is running in Working Class Magazine’s brand spanking new The Outlaw Issue that just dropped today. EIGHTBALL was inspired by this issue, so it’s back at the top.
Sex, Drugs, Policies & No Apologies.
Get on it and crank it up to angry.
01. The War on Drugs (Bill Hicks)
02. Liquidation Sale (Shilpa Ray & Her Happy Hookers)
03. Block of Ice (Thee Oh Sees)
04. Witch (The Sonics)
05. Somebody Put Something In My Drink (The Ramones)
06. Cheat (The Clash)
07. Rituals (Archie Bronson Outfit)
08. Down In Mexico (The Coasters)
09. Penetration (Iggy & The Stooges)
10. Tastebuds (King Khan & BBQ Show)
11. Why D’ya Do It (Marianne Faithfull)
12. Chick Habit (April March)
13. Love und Romance (The Slits)
14. Kick Out The Jams [Uncensored Version] (MC5)
15. T.V. Set (The Cramps)
16. Politicians In My Eyes (Death)
17. I Am A Fly (Wire)
18. Politics in America (Bill Hicks)
In honor of last nights massive white dump on the city, I present this Mix I made during the last blizzard of the 2009-2010 winter season – Feb 10th, 2010 to be exact. V [snow day] is white, crisp, cold, blinding, pristine, and yet – warm. And I threw in the bonus track from The Dubliners as a reach foward toward Spring.
Snow Day also brings us up to date with the last of the posterior spradosphere mixTapes. It’s been fun looking back, but now, From here, we move forward.
Happy Snow Day.
01. Swim (Surfer Blood)
02. Possibility (Lykke Li)
03. Pray for Rain (Massive Attack)
04. Camera Talk (Local Natives)
05. Mouthful Of Diamonds (Phantogram)
06. Whispering Light (Jesca Hoop)
07. The Crutch (Gil Scott-Heron)
08. Voodoo (Ganglians)
09. Intro (The xx)
10. Dog Days Are Over (Florence + the Machine)
11. Boat Behind (Kings of Convenience)
12. Zebra (Beach House)
13. Let’s Go Surfing (The Drums)
14. Cream Dream (Simian Mobile Disco)
15. Soldier of Love (Sade)
16. The High Road (Broken Bells)
17. I Think UR A Contra (Vampire Weekend)
18. The Rocky Road To Dublin (The Dubliners)
Made in December 2009.
01. Expialidocious (Pogo)
02. My Girls [Gigamesh 'Proper House' Remix] (Animal Collective)
03. Use Me (Bill Withers)
04. When You Hear The Bassline (Major Lazer)
05. Ecstasy (jj)
06. Another Word for Paradise (Lushlife)
07. Home (Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros)
08. The Price of Love (White Lies)
09. Frontier Psychiatrist (The Avalanches)
10. Whachadoin (N.A.S.A.)
Made in 2009.
01. Burn (The Cure)
02. Build Voice (Dan Deacon)
03. Dream Baby (Roy Orbison)
04. Pirate’s Gospel (Alela Diane)
05. Get Up (I Feel Like Being A) Sex Machine, Pt. 1 (James Brown)
06. Genesis (Justice)
07. The Only Time (Nine Inch Nails)
08. Ragged Wood (Fleet Foxes)
09. New York Groove (Hello)
10. North American Scum (LCD Soundsystem)
11. Lies (The Black Keys)
12. Sympathy For The Devil (The Rolling Stones)